Dr. Irving Sánchez Rodríguez
Oncology – Radiotherapy
Medical Specialist in Radiaton Oncology
Certified by the Mexican Council of Certification in Radiotherapy A.C. (UDEG-CMNO)
ONCOLOGY CARE TEAM
A team of highly trained medical professionals will be involved in your care during radiation therapy. This team is led by a radiation oncologist, a doctor who specializes in using radiation to treat cancer.
What is a Radiation Oncologist ?
A radiation oncologist is a doctor who specializes in the treatment of people with cancer. They use radiation as the main way of treating cancer.
Your radiation oncologist:
- Will decide how much radiation you get for your cancer treatment
- Plans how your cancer treatment will be given
- Closely follows you during your cancer treatment
- Directs any care you need to help manage any side effects you may have during and after your cancer treatment
- After your treatment is over, your radiation oncologist will see you for follow-up visits.
- At these visits, your radiation oncologist will find out how well the radiation worked to treat your cancer and will help you with any side effects (unwanted changes in your body) you may have.
What is Radiotherapy
- It is the clinical modality that uses ionizing radiation in the treatment of cancer (and some benign diseases) with the aim of administering a precise dose to the tumor with the least possible damage to healthy organs.
- Radiotherapy works by destroying cancer cells in the area that’s being treated by damaging the DNA. Cancer cells cannot repair themselves after radiotherapy, but normal cells are better at repairing.
Elekta Synergy Digital Linear Accelerator
Hospital San Javier in GUADALAJARA, Jalisco Mexico, provides the Elekta Synergy Digital Linear Accelerator as a convenience to you, the only one in the West of Mexico. State of the art equipment for safe treatment of cancerous tumor lesions in every location.
It is a high precision, non-invasive method, working on 3-D Conformal Radiotherapy, through multilayer collimators.
Implementing more accurate Stereotactic techniques and Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT) is attained by obtaining images through Spiral Tomography and Magnetic Resonance. The incomparable efficacy of this treatment is based on the opportunity to verify the exact location of the volume to be treated during the treatment procedure and when administering the dose.
This is only achieved by Image-Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT) procedures. Scaling the dose and preserving critical organs are achieved thanks to images obtained and to validation through the iViewGT portal imaging system and the XVI X-ray volumetric imaging system that are incorporated to the digital linear accelerator. The basis of the 4-D adapted radiotherapy is integrated by these elements which enable making adjustments based on the treatment response.
- The high speed of the multi-blade and diaphragm colmidar increases treatment speed and allows for more effective modulation.
- Reduces the radiation dose to organs and tissues.
- Low integral dose, reduces the possibility of radiation-induced tumors.
- Improves the quality of treatment.
- Reduces the time of daily treatment.
- Continuous monitoring and control during treatment to gain confidence in beam
- conformation and treatment delivery.
- Integrated tomograph XVI that allows to visualize images in three dimensions in real time.
- Provides a high dose in accordance with the objective.
- Reduces the risk of critical organs.
- Optimizes the administration of radiation doses for all patients and different pathologies.
- It can reduce treatment time, which can also decrease the likelihood of patient movement.
- It has 160 multi-blades.
- Increases patient throughput due to faster delivery times, resulting in reduced waiting lists.
Dr. Irving Sanchez Specialist in Radiation Oncology
Medical Doctor graduated from University of Guadalajara, with specialty in Radiation Oncology
at the National Western Medical Center.
Clinical electives in University of Toronto. 1st place in board certification exam by the Mexican Council of Certification in Radiation Oncology,
Member of the American Society for Radiation Oncology.
Member of the American Society of Clinical Oncology.
Staff Physician at the National Medical Center of the West Guadalajara.
Diploma in Palliative Care and Pain Management by University of Guadalajara.
Contact an Oncology
RADIOTHERAPY UNIT Available only in Guadalajara City, Jalisco. At San Javier Hospital
The first appoitment with the Oncology Specialist is in Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco.