( T H R ) Total Hip Replacement
Dr. Max Greig
More than 25 Years Experience in Orthopedic Procedures and Hip Replacement
Is the ( THR ) Total Hip Replacement for you?
The decision to have hip replacement surgery should be a cooperative one made by you, your family, your primary care doctor, and your orthopaedic surgeon.
There are no absolute age or weight restrictions for total hip replacements.
Candidates for Surgery
Recommendations for surgery are based on a patient’s pain and disability, not age. Most patients who undergo total hip replacement are age 50 to 80, but orthopaedic surgeons evaluate patients individually.
Total hip replacements have been performed successfully at all ages, from the young teenager with juvenile arthritis to the elderly patient with degenerative arthritis.
When Is the ( THR ) Total Hip Replacement recommend?
There are several reasons why your doctor may recommend hip replacement surgery. People who benefit from hip replacement surgery often have:
- Hip pain that limits everyday activities, such as walking or bending
- Hip pain that continues while resting, either day or night
Stiffness in a hip that limits the ability to move or lift the leg
- Inadequate pain relief from anti-inflammatory drugs, physical therapy, or walking supports
If your hip has been damaged by arthritis, a fracture, or other conditions, common activities such as walking or getting in and out of a chair may be painful and difficult. Your hip may be stiff, and it may be hard to put on your shoes and socks. You may even feel uncomfortable while resting.
If medications, changes in your everyday activities, and the use of walking supports do not adequately help your symptoms, you may consider hip replacement surgery. Hip replacement surgery is a safe and effective procedure that can relieve your pain, increase motion, and help you get back to enjoying normal, everyday activities.
Preparing for Surgery
If you decide to have hip replacement surgery, Dr. Max Greig may ask you to have a complete physical examination by your primary care doctor before your surgical procedure. This is needed to make sure you are healthy enough to have the surgery and complete the recovery process. Many patients with chronic medical conditions, like heart disease, may also be evaluated by a specialist, such a cardiologist, before the surgery.
Another test such as blood and urine samples, an electrocardiogram (EKG), and chest x-rays, may be needed to help plan your surgery. All test can be perform in the same hospital CMQ Riviera Nayarit
Dr. Greig will review the results of your evaluation with you and discuss whether hip replacement surgery is the best method to relieve your pain and improve your mobility. Other treatment options — such as medications or physical therapy, — also may be considered.
Never hesitate to ask questions when you do not understand. The more you know, the better you will be able to manage the changes that hip replacement surgery will make in your life.
How it works?
You are admitted the next morning normally at 6:30 am. You must be fasting from midnight onwards. An Dr. Greig will be started in one of your arms. Prophylactic antibiotics and stomach/intestines protectors are administered. The nurses will get you ready for the OR. An Epidural anesthesia will be given to you by our very experienced Anesthesiologist. Also, you will receive a mild form of general sedation.
– The THR lasts about 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Then you are taken to the recovery room for another couple of hours. Afterward, you will be sent to your room to continue intrahospital care.
– You will stay in the hospital for two nights. We will get you up and walk around the day after surgery. Instructions and prescribed oral medications will be given to you upon your hospital discharge.
– Follow-up care will be provided at your hotel room by my Physical therapist and assistant doctor.
For North American Patients planning to Travel
to Puerto Vallarta - Riviera Nayarit for Surgery
-Send by email a recent MRI, ray X and medical studies you might already have and a brief story about your medical conditions. Dr. Greig will review it and determinate the type procedure will be the best for you
-Dr. Greig team will assist you with close communication to answer all you questions before traveling, during your entire stay and after your final recovery
– Recommended 12 to 15 days in destination for recovery and evaluations
– Recommended Hotels or condominiums near La Marina or Nuevo Nayarit (Before Nuevo Vallarta)
– Travel with an accompanion
– Bring a personal movil cellphone
– Get a Virtual Interview before travel to clarify all the details
First Contact in Puerto Vallarta
– Share you flight information to coordinate your transportation in advance
– Share full name of your accompanion
– Share Address of you hotel or condominium
As soon as you get off of the plane in Puerto Vallarta , first step – its get your luggage in carrusel, second step – customs, and third step – get to VIP taxis services
across from baggage claim No 7, where you will find your name on the board, identify yourself, They will provide the transportation to the condominium where are going to stay.
Once you are staying in you hotel or condominium , We will coordinate the time to Pick you up the following day to take you to the hospital for meeting Dr Greig in person, answer your question and update the studies necessary.
CMQ Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
(+52) 322 1515 56 60
(+52) 322 229 03 10.